We know, we know, cleaning out your closet can be agonizing. When tasked with parting with clothing, you suddenly think of all the non–existent reasons you might need that concert t–shirt from that band that broke up 5 years ago. Memories, ya know. But, if you think of it as making room in your closet for new, prettier, better–fitting items, it might not be as heart–wrenching for you.
Make it easy on yourself and start by eliminating these basic items – because even you can’t argue with this list:
- Socks with holes
- Ill fitting bras and sports bras with worn elastic (Keep the girls from sagging by wearing supportive bras)
- Too old underwear (you know the ones)
- Anything that doesn’t fit (I know you are waiting for the day that dress fits again, but how about this – donate it and go buy a dress that fits now. So you can actually wear it!)
- Stained T-Shirts
- Faded black pants
- Pilled sweaters
- Those heels that are too high for you to walk in
- Anything you haven’t worn in the past year
We know most of these items are sitting in your closet right now. Trust us, you won’t miss them when they are gone. And maybe once you’ve accepted the loss of these pieces, you will be able to make more drastic changes to your closet, such as donating (Goodwill, Plato’s Closet, thredUP, Poshmark) that bridesmaids dress they promised you’d be able to wear again.
*This post contains affiliate links.
If you need help replenishing the basics you just tossed, check out these options:
What items are in your closet that you just can’t part with? Share with us below!