ElizabethMae
Creativity

Spark your creativity with these quick tips

If you Google ways to boost your creativity, some 9 Million pages will be available to you. Ways to think more creatively, ways to get through that slump, ways to spark that great idea. I’ll admit, I’ve seeked out these tips, on more than one occasion and if we’re being honest, it’s usually just another way for me to procrastinate doing the actual work. Sometimes, just getting started is the best and smartest way to “boost” your creativity. However, I know as well as anyone, that taking that first step is easier said than done with some projects and we all could use that extra, sparkly push forward before we can dive in.

Over the years, I’ve learned a couple tips that work for me when I need a little boost. Of course, everyone’s creativity is different because everyone’s lifestyle is different and everyone’s work is different. It’s important to try out different methods to find what works best for you personally. Below is a list of ideas that may (or may not) inspire and motivate you.

1.) Watch a TED Talk

2.) Change your tactic

• Take the path of most resistance. Put your brain in overdrive by restricting and limiting yourself to create within specific guidelines.
  • Think about the problem, not the solution.
  • Batch out your tasks. Research has shown that our creative potential decreases when we have to hold both the gathering of ideas and execution of the ideas in the same space. Segment out your process and focus on only the task at hand.
  • Sketch out all the “wrong” ideas, instead of all the “right” ideas.
  • Work when you are tired. I know it seems counter-intuitive, but research has shown that those who are night owls, actually are more creative in the morning and those who are self–proclaimed morning people (these people actually exist) may be more creative at night.
  • Stop looking for inspiration from others. Close Google. Close Pinterest. Close Dribble. Close Medium.
  • Procrastinate. You don’t have to be first, if you can be better.

3.) Meditate

Meditation has been shown to promote a state of mind in which we can generate new ideas more easily. It is not for everyone but if you want to try it out, you can use one of these online guided meditation options.

4.) Get outside

In a 2012 study, it was shown that after only 4 days of immersion in nature, cognitive functions related to creativity and critical thinking increased by 50%. 50%! In fact, the theory is that the more time we spend with technology, and away from nature, the more damage we are doing to our brain. So, put down your phone, step away from your laptop, turn off Netflix and take a 30–minute walk around your neighborhood and embrace the effects!

5.) Progress, not perfection

The Salvador Dali quote goes: “Do not be afraid of perfection – you will never attain it.” For me, this is one of the most important (and hardest) pieces of advice to follow and it goes back to what I mentioned in the beginning of this post. Just doing the work is sometimes the best way to work through your creative slump. It doesn’t have to perfect. Just get started. Make progress. Then take the next step.

Did any of these tactics work for you? Share your favorite ways to say goodbye to your creative slump below!

You Might Also Like...

22 Comments

Anna
    June 6, 2017 at 3:07 pm

Like the upside down idea of listing all the ‘wrong’ ideas instead of the ‘right’ ones. Definitely trying it out next time!

elizabethmae
      June 6, 2017 at 11:34 pm

That idea I learned from a college professor of mine and I still use it from time to time. Sometimes it really helps me get to the good ideas, surprisingly! Hope it works for you as well 🙂

Brenda
    June 6, 2017 at 4:01 pm

Thanks for sharing this, it was such perfect timing, I’m in a creativity slump right now. The last one about progress not perfection is so true, yet it’s also the hardest for me as well. Another tactic that works for me is listening to a podcast. I look forward to reading your future posts (found you through the bloggers group) 🙂

elizabethmae
      June 6, 2017 at 11:35 pm

Thank you for sharing! I love trying out new tips to help get past my creative slump, so I’m going to add podcasts to my list to try!

Neelie
    June 6, 2017 at 4:59 pm

Super useful this. Am – right in the middle – of a moment where I need to be creative. But as I’m an evening person I might just procrastinate until tomo morning and see if that works 🙂 Thanks for sharing!

elizabethmae
      June 6, 2017 at 11:36 pm

I’m an evening person as well so I totally understand that! Good luck!

Nicole
    June 7, 2017 at 12:15 am

These are great ideas especially progress rather than perfection! I tend to be of the mindset that if I can’t be perfect, I shouldn’t bother, but there are a lot of situations where that mentality gets me nowhere!!

elizabethmae
      June 7, 2017 at 3:18 am

I agree, sometimes you just gotta say “Hey, at least I started” and focus on that instead of focusing on the imperfections!

Lisa
    June 7, 2017 at 2:03 am

These are great tips. I used to get stuck on the ‘it’s not perfect’, then I realized it is never going to be so just GO FOR IT!

elizabethmae
      June 7, 2017 at 3:19 am

Yes! Just go for it 🙂 Starting is better than not starting, right?!

sian
    June 7, 2017 at 12:16 pm

I love that I found this while procrastinating! I’ve just book marked it 🙂 Great article! well done 🙂

elizabethmae
      June 7, 2017 at 11:23 pm

Ha! That’s perfect 🙂 Glad you enjoyed!

Michelle Paige
    June 7, 2017 at 5:47 pm

I so needed this! Thanks for all of these awesome tips! Getting outside really does the trick for me. Something about a change of scenery and fresh air

elizabethmae
      June 7, 2017 at 11:24 pm

I’m glad you liked the post! I am totally in agreement, getting outside really helps me too 🙂

Zineb
    June 8, 2017 at 2:02 am

I love TED talks. It’s the ultimate to get inspired and motivated to get out of whatever funk you’re in and slay life! Loved this.

Love always,

Zineb

elizabethmae
      June 14, 2017 at 12:42 am

Me too! They help me a lot when I’m feeling stuck.

Nicole
    June 8, 2017 at 2:22 am

I agree getting outside is a great way to boost creativity. Always brings a new perspective to what is going on.

elizabethmae
      June 14, 2017 at 12:42 am

Agreed!

Sue
    June 8, 2017 at 6:32 pm

Thanks – and I totally forgot to ever check out Ted talks even though I do remember hearing about it.. will totally check out.
    I agree with the outdoor and meditation too. Yoga is along those lines but that is what works best for me. It totally helps clear the mind and each class you set a mantra/focus word for whatever it is that you need that day.. Whether it be focus, patience, strength, clarity, creativity.. and during the 1 1/2 hour class you are guided sort of unconsciously to that mantra and seriously but the end of class you feel amazing and whatever it is that you are asking to manifest itself – it does!

elizabethmae
      June 14, 2017 at 12:43 am

Yoga is a great suggestion, thank you for sharing! I have tried it a couple times, and I have noticed it does help me feel centered the rest of the day. And yes, do check out TED Talks, I hope you find something you like!

Jane
    June 8, 2017 at 9:33 pm

I fail at this: Stop looking for inspiration from others. Close Google. Close Pinterest. Close Dribble. Close Medium.
    You are so right!!! Creativity should come from within!!!!

elizabethmae
      June 14, 2017 at 12:43 am

It is soooo hard to do sometimes, but if you cancel out all the noise, I often find that I have ideas in me that are just waiting to come out!