ElizabethMae
7 Day Challenge Wellness

7–Day Challenge: Drink More Water

People often make lofty fitness, health and weight loss goals for themselves (New Years Resolutions, anyone?) that only last a month and make them feel guilty for a few months following that. One way to combat this is by making smaller, 7–day goals that you can stick to. Short–term goals help you stay focused and on the path to long–term success. After 7 days, you can evaluate your goal again and adjust your habits if needed to set yourself up for better success.

A good goal for 2017 is to drink more water. Drinking water is one of the best things you can do for your overall health – physical and mental. With summer days (here in MN!) quickly heating up, staying hydrated is so important. The mainstream recommendation is to drink 8 eight oz. glasses of water each day, however, how much water you actually need is based on your health, how active you are and where you live. Generally speaking, if you are drinking enough fluids to not feel thirsty and your urine is mostly colorless, you are likely adequately hydrated.

If you are not yet convinced that drinking more water is beneficial to you, consider these benefits:

• Water makes up about 60% of your entire body weight and every system in your body depends on it to function. When you body doesn’t have enough water to carry out its everyday functions, dehydration occurs which leaves you feeling drained and exhausted.
  • Water aids with weight loss. Drinking a glass of water before each meal will help you fill up quicker so you eat less. Not only that, but water reduces hunger, raises metabolism and has zero calories!
  • Water can act as a natural headache remedy, prevent joint pain by lubricating your joints, and it helps reduce muscle strain by making your muscles more elastic.

If you are ready to add Drink More Water to your to–do list, try incorporating the following action–items into your daily routine for 7 days and then adjust as necessary.

*The post contains affiliate links.

Action Items

1. Track your daily intake with a water bottlejournal or an app.

2. Infuse your water with natural flavor by adding lemon, cucumber, fruit or fresh herbs to your drink. Some of my favorite combos are:

• Citrus, cucumber and mint
  • Grape, strawberry and lime
  • Orange and blueberry
  • Strawberry, lemon and basil

3. Each morning, before eating anything, drink a glass of warm lemon water. Lemon water has several benefits:

• Helps with digestion
  • Provides an immune boost
  • Aids with collagen production for healthier skin

4. Before each meal, drink one glass of water.

5. Add a few water–rich foods into one of your meals each day. About 20% of our daily water intake comes from the foods we eat. Foods high in water content include:

• Cucumber
  • Watermelon
  • Oranges
  • Carrots
  • Broccoli
  • Bell Pepper

6. Add something spicy to one meal a day. Not only does spicy food boost your metabolism, but it naturally makes you reach for your water.

7. Purchase a Sleepytime Tea and make a cup before bed time. Tea is a great way to sneak in water throughout the day.

8. Set deadlines for yourself to make sure you are drinking enough water. Try the following format:

• By 9am – 1 Glass
  • By Noon – 2 Glasses
  • By 3pm – 2 Glasses
  • By 6pm – 2 Glasses
  • By 9pm – 1 Glass

9. Track how you feel using a planner or notebook. Keep track of your energy and hunger levels as well as any pain or sickness you may feel during the challenge. You can analyze this after the challenge and determine how drinking more water helped you.

10. Plan a reward for meeting your 7–day water intake goal. Having something to look forward to will help you stay on track.

You Might Also Like...

16 Comments

Kiara
    July 7, 2017 at 5:29 pm

I like this. I was just on Pinterest look for more ideas for infused water. Definitely going to try the oranges and blueberries also strawberry, lemon and basil. Glad I came across this. And yes short term goals are way better. I may can achieve 7 days lol thank you for this post.

Karen Gran
    July 7, 2017 at 6:16 pm

What a helpful article. I need to drink more water. I like the setting of times during the day so that you get your quota. I will join you in this challenge. Thanks.

Pesi
    July 8, 2017 at 12:04 am

Aaaah I never thought of Short Term Goals because I always challenge myself at the beginning of the year and give up by Feb and start working on MOnthly Goals which never workout but never thought of 7 Days Goal which I know will work more for me!!! Thanks so much!!

PS. I love your infused Water suggestion too!!

Cassie
    July 8, 2017 at 5:02 am

I love weekly goals! I actually run weekly health challenges on my blog and drinking more water was on of them! I find 7 days much easier to commit to and you get such a fantastic feeling when the week is done and you’ve completed the goal! Love these ideas 🙂

Nadia
    July 8, 2017 at 2:59 pm

I LOVE the idea of setting 7-days goals! What a brilliant concept, lovely! Way too many of our NY resolutions don’t happen for many reasons, one of them being we simply forget about them. I will definitely bring in the goals for 7 days routine into my life 🙂 As for the water intake, that is a very good goal to set and see through! I used to be terrible with my water intake, often leaving my body dehydrated and, as a result, unhappy. Sorry about TMI, but once I got the world’s most awful UTI, I started chugging water like there’s no tomorrow. It helped me at the time and the habit has stuck around 🙂 I drink about 8 glasses of still water no problem. I am actually one of those weirdos who likes the taste of water, without any flavours 🙂
    xox Nadia

Judy Stadtler
    July 8, 2017 at 8:31 pm

Great article. I drink 48 oz per day.

Trish
    July 9, 2017 at 2:56 am

I’m not very good at drinking water, I actually don’t like the taste of that as weird as it is. The other day though, I woke up and drank a glass of warm water which was really good. I also love crystal light flavoring, and I infused water with cucumber once and that tasted really good, I had never tried it before.

Nicole
    July 9, 2017 at 4:00 pm

My mom has been telling me for years to drink more water. I truly need to do it. The only time I really upped my water intake was during pregnancy, but it should really be an always thing. I love infused water too, so I am just going to have to make some and keep it in the fridge! Thanks for the advice!

Nicki
    July 9, 2017 at 4:40 pm

These are great tips I have been trying to drink more water and I shall certainly be buying some watermelon to keep my intake up.

Megan
    July 10, 2017 at 5:15 pm

I try my best to drink as much water as I can but, most of the time, I just forget! Although, I must stress, people keep thinking that they literally have to drink 2 litres of water a day but forget that it is in their food as well so they over-hydrate themselves. This makes blood cells burst and can be just as harmful as dehydration! I know a girl in my old school who did this and was literally in bed ill for a couple of days throwing up water.

Meg x | the-writeblog.blogspot.co.uk

Ellie
    July 11, 2017 at 7:06 am

I love the idea of this as I always find short term goals more beneficial as they dont feel as much like a chore! I completely agree water intake is so important I drink so much a day!!

Ellie

Brooke @ Brooke Ellen, Inc.
      November 15, 2017 at 8:45 pm

I’m right there with you! I love the reminder to try infused water. I forget how much more enjoyable that can make a glass of agua.

Lauren Binley
    July 22, 2017 at 8:43 am

I’m sure I drink enough water when I’m at work during the week as I have around 3 lots of my 500ml glass at least. The problem I have is keeping it up during the weekend! I think I just don’t remember to drink when I’m at home, I also forget to eat as often as well though!

Michelle
    November 15, 2017 at 8:41 pm

I really need to drink more water. I need to follow your schedule for drinking water.

Shauna
    November 15, 2017 at 9:36 pm

Excellent 💛 I am drinking Lemon water right now I love the tips and the time schedule you suggested very helpful. I know for me if I don’t drink 5 cups by 2pm I am off track and feel dehydrated 🍋 water is the best!

Rosalie Markovics
    November 17, 2017 at 2:00 am

A very practical post! I feel so much better when I drink more water and will try some of your infusions. Will share to my health and wellness page on facebook ‘Is Your Health Your Wealth?’ as it is a very worthwhile post.